Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Ernest E. Shoemaker (1902 - 1968)

Ernest Ellsworth Shoemaker was born 16 March 1902 at Mt. Holly in Warren County near Xenia, Ohio.



Ernie Shoemaker at about sixteen years old.
16 mar 1902 ~ 18 mar 1968


Sometime after 1910, his mother left his father and moved the family to Washington State. He joined the Navy for a stint before becoming a carpenter.



I don't know how he met my grandma Merle and I suppose I should ask someone before all those who have heard the story are gone. I think it was while he was in the Navy and stationed on Puget Sound.

His is a quarter of my own DNA. I had the opportunity to know him into my teens. But I don't feel that I know much of who he was or what he felt as a person. He seemed mostly unhappy when I knew him but maybe that was just the effect of grandchildren pestering him. Lord knows most young people that meet me probably think I'm a crabby old bitch so I could see that possibility. He had a sly sense of humor. I hope he made Merle laugh more than cry.

No comments: